Monday, February 06, 2017

Serenity revisited.

So, here I am. Last few days I have been traveling. This place, Shillong, Meghalaya, is an unique place by its own characteristics. From small houses on the hillock to beautiful nature, this place is in real mesmerizing to behold.

Emerging from the medieval Khashi tribe originally, these people are Christians by religion. Having mostly Mongolian features, they are mostly village people. Quite contradicting our perception of village, funnily these people are quite stylish and have good dressing sense. Serenity prevails their life, as I lie down hearing even the soft murmur of water flowing down.

Shillong attracts a lot of tourists the whole year round from various regions. As a tourist myself, I have noticed the number of lodges and hotels that has grown here which is a means of occupation for most people.

The beauty of the place is difficult to describe in mere words. Like most hilly areas, the temperature is low, and have foggy weather. But Shillong differs by the characteristics such as brilliant crimson sky peeping through the trees as it fades into the sunset sky, or the beautiful sparkle of house lights at night looking like coloured butterflies. Vegetation ranges from deciduous to coniferous trees. And soil normally means red soil broken down from rocky hills.

One of the essential characteristics is that it is predominated by matriarchal families. And it's very curious yet intriguing to see responsibility and relationship among families here. One that is very noticeable is the care taken in beautifying these small houses with flower plants, big glass windows with lace curtains and colour coordination. Funny, yet I believe the creativity expressed is a portrayal of the feminine dominancy over the lives of people. It's not rare to see girls moving in groups, doing the livelihood for the family, boldly and strongly.

Today is the third day, of my stay here, and I have visited most of the places here for site seeing which includes Cherrapunjee( place of heaviest rainfall), Dawki ( India-Bangladesh border over the Bramhaputra river), the living root bridge at Riwai(picture below), and the cleanest village - Maulynnong. All of them had been beautiful and being a travel lover I will always cherish it in my memory.

If you have travel stories to tell, please do so in the comment section. I will be more than happy to read them. Khublei. 

2 comments:

  1. Loved your post. Made me relive my own memories, with such intrinsic detail to your observations.

    They say a writer is one who travels, one who observes, one who remembers and one who loves. I've fallen in love with your portrayal, and I anxiously keep waiting for you to surprise me yet again.

    And oh, the picture, just mesmerizing <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I'm happy to relive your memories with my writing. ��

    ReplyDelete